- Our Stores
- Our Blog
- Our Departments
- Contact Us
- Monthly Specials
Say goodbye to mortar, messy grout, and time-consuming tiling for your bath and shower. Introducing the Jetcoat™ Shower Wall System: A Grout-Free Solution! It only takes a few hours to measure, cut, and adhere to the wall, which makes this a perfect DIY project for most. Just 24 hours later, the walls will be cured and ready for use. With five ultra-durable premium finishes and three different configurations, you’ll never find an easier or more affordable way to give your bath the stylish and dramatic makeover you’ve been dreaming of.
Decorators everywhere are falling in love with these long-lasting and sophisticated walls! Premium finishes available include Slate, Driftwood, Quarry, Sandstone, and Shale. The variety ensures there is a perfect style for everyone! Getting a new Jetcoat shower is incredibly quick and easy with the Jetcoat grout-free installation system. Although it looks like these are individual tiles, they are actually large panels that simply click into place with their tongue and groove edges. They fit so snug that you will have a hard time finding the seams once the panels are in place. The SPC Rigid Core panels are incredibly durable since they are made into a composite from natural marble powder and PVC powder. With 10 layers of strengthening and UV protectant mediums, these heavy-duty walls will stand up for years without worry of chipping, staining, or fading.
Jetcoat is a stunningly affordable option for anyone looking to install a shower. With multiple base sizes available and a 10-year warranty, replacing your old bathtub, standard shower, or corner shower is a breeze! You can also order a custom base from Handy Man and order Jetcoat walls to fit if you have a unique sized space. Come and see it on display at our showroom – you will love it! See the installation video here!
Congratulations to Andrew! He took home our giveaway prize of $300 in store credit! He is pictured here with his daughter and our Lincoln store manager, Mike. We’re looking forward to helping him with his next project!
Since the beginning of time (or the modernization of showers) people have been fighting mold. Why? Because mold LOVES showers! It provides the perfect conditions to grow – moisture, warmth, and edible nutrients (soap residue). It’s the perfect place for mold to live. The most problematic areas tend to be on the silicone sealant. Its low thermal conductivity means that it is the warmest part of the shower. It also can be lumpy and retain excess moisture on its ridges.
What causes mold and mildew in the shower?
Mold spreads by microscopic spores that travel through the air. These spores land in your damp shower and immediately start growing on the sealant. They reproduce rapidly and you will soon see a visible dark spot growing on top of the sealant. If you catch this early, it is considered a Primary Attack. If you leave it there for an extended amount of time, the mold will secrete a substance that is able to break through silicone caulk and begin reproducing under the surface. This is called a Secondary Attack. Once the mold gets to this stage, the sealant needs to be removed and reapplied. Before you apply a new bead of caulk, the best way to keep mold from growing underneath is to thoroughly clean the area with a fungicidal spray.
How can I keep my shower mold-free and fresh?
Despite the constant struggle, there are many countermeasures you can take to prevent mold in the future.
- Clean off any mold or mildew as soon as you see it to prevent the secondary attacks.
- Consistently rinse the shower each time you are done using it. If you rinse out any soap bubbles on the walls or curtain, the mold won’t have anything to feed on. A hand shower is a great tool for this. It makes it easy to direct the water right where it needs to go.
- The most important step in mold prevention is to remove excess moisture. Bath fan ventilation technology has come a long way in the last decade. The best fans run at a low speed all day long to keep moisture out. When it senses a person in the room it will speed up for a set amount of time. Not only do these fans clear out bathroom moisture, but they also are incredibly quiet, and no longer roar like a jet engine taking off. One flaw of older or basic models of bath fans is that you take a shower in the morning, then leave the house. You don’t want to leave the fan running for 8 hours on full speed, so you turn it off before it gets a chance to do its full job. These new models run constantly and silently, which allows them time to complete their job – reducing moisture, mold spores, and odors. Handy Man carries a wide variety of bath fans to suit your every need – bath fans with night lights, motion sensors, and more. We’re here to walk you through it!
Here are a few shower heads that will make your time in the shower the most relaxing 8 minutes of your day! From calming rain heads, luxurious waterfalls, massaging body sprayers, removable hand-held shower heads, and more… Handy Man has got you covered!
Mountain Re-Vive Ultra Thin Rain Head #114131
Bring your shower into the future with this ultra-thin rain shower head. The clean lines can modernize any bathroom!
Aqua brass Aquasheet waterfall rain head #96082
This multi-function shower head includes a rain head and waterfall feature that transports you from your bathroom into the jungle.
Delta Surface Mount Body Sprayer #81885
After a tough workout, body sprayers are a must. They massage away tired and achy muscles to leave you feeling rejuvenated!
2-in-1 Moen Engage Hand Shower with MAGNETIX #108649
Cleaning the shower, washing the dog, and rinsing all those hard-to-reach places has never been easier! With Moen’s Engage hand show with MAGNETIX, your hand shower will always snap back into place after use!
Grohe Relexa Deluxe Champagne Shower Head #88791
This multi-function shower head featuring air-enriched water droplets offers users a spa-like experience every day. Choose from wide champagne, narrow champagne, needle jet spray, and wide rain sprays! Some users say it’s “the best shower head ever made.”
ThermaSol Chromotherapy head
Rejuvenate yourself in a shower enriched with chromotherapy! Each color has a different energetic property. Choose purple light to relax before bed or orange light to energize you before a big meeting.
Congratulations to Sheila from Lincoln! She took home a new Blanco kitchen sink and matching faucet (valued at $900) for her home! Thank you for participating in our giveaway!
By choosing pieces that add extra storage and also using some mind tricks, you can transform a small family bathroom into a functional space for the whole family.
- When you choose bathroom furniture with extra storage spaces, you can clear off the vanity top and make your bathroom less cluttered. Consider adding a large medicine cabinet instead of a mirror. Toothbrushes, medicines, and lotions can all be tucked inside and out of sight. Hanging an over-the-john cabinet is a great way to utilize a big empty space and get even more bathroom items out of the way.
- Remove your large vanity cabinet and install a compact pedestal sink with storage. Pedestal sinks generally do not extend as far from the wall, leaving more room for people to pass through.
- If you can’t bear to give up a larger vanity, consider installing a wall-mounted one instead. The extra floor space can be filled with baskets and makes cleaning the floor a breeze.
- Replacing your dull light fixtures with brighter ones can make your space feel much larger. Bright lights can fill dark corners with light and make you realize how much space you have available. Mirrors reflect the light, so a large mirror will make your bathroom feel more spacious as well.
- Shower curtains make bathrooms feel smaller and darker than they actually are. By adding a frameless shower door you can trick the eye into feeling like the space is more open. An added bonus of adding a shower door is the ability to mount towel bars directly on the door. This clears up the walls and instead allows towels to dry in a space that wasn’t utilized before.
- Wall color can make or break a small bathroom. Choosing lighter paint colors opens up the space and makes it feel much larger.
As seen in The Hood Magazine September 2018.
Congratulations to the winners of our 3rd Annual Ugly Bathroom Contest! These winners were able to beat out 130 other entries to take home their prize.
Grand Prize – $2,000
2nd Place – $500
3rd Place – $250
Creative Writing – $100
A new kitchen faucet can totally transform your workspace. It not only brings a beautiful new style into your home but it can also reduce your water usage and increase your dish-washing functionality!
- Delta Leland – This gorgeous Venetian bronze finish will stand out in a light-colored kitchen.
2. Moen Notch – The soft edges of the high-arc stainless faucet makes any kitchen cozier.
3. Delta Lewiston – This low-arc pull-out faucet makes small kitchens more functional.
4. Moen Arbor – Sleek lines make the Arbor a perfect choice for any modern kitchen.
5. Delta Allentown – For a more professional style, choose the stainless Allentown faucet.
6. Moen Voss – This mid-height pull-out stainless faucet is a beautiful choice for a tight space.
7. Delta Essa – Matte black finish is becoming a popular choice in modern kitchens.
8. Moen Align – Turn your home into a professional kitchen with this tall spring-arc faucet.
9. Delta Cassidy – A traditional faucet like the Cassidy is a great addition to a family home.
10. Delta Trask – Strong lines make the Trask a perfect choice for a dark kitchen.
Ryan and his family came by on Friday to claim their prize of a beautiful new Onyx Vanity Top! The whole family met with Handy Man President, Joe Swenson at our Sioux Falls location. Congratulations and thank you for participating in our giveaway event – we’re excited to help you with your bathroom remodel!
Although stainless steel is resistant to rust and corrosion, it still needs regular cleaning to keep it in great condition! Here are a few tips on how to care for your stainless steel sink and keep it looking brand new.
First of all, do NOT use rubber coated mats to “protect” the bottom of the sink, as discoloration of the sink may occur after prolonged use. Similarly, any wet sponges or cleaning materials left on the sink for long periods of time could stain the sink surface. Instead, if you must have a protective barrier, purchase a metal grid that can be cleaned and removed from your sink regularly.
Always dry your sink after use. Dissolved minerals and salts in your water leave deposits on your sink when the water evaporates. You will have water-spots on your sink just like your car has after rain. If you have spots that have been on your sink for a long time, use a little vinegar to wipe them clean. Then try to get in the habit of wiping your sink down when you are done using it.
When using chemicals for cleaning, avoid bleach or products containing bleach. It can corrode stainless steel sinks. Also avoid Muriatic acid (used to clean grout) or plumbing PVC solvents. If any of these chemicals get on your stainless steel sink, rinse it thoroughly, then dry.
If there are any stains that you cannot remove with water and vinegar, Bar Keepers Friend is a great cleaner to have on hand. Be sure to clean in the same direction as the grain lines of the finish so the sink doesn’t appear to have scratches. Rinse well and dry for a happy sink!
If you are in need of an upgraded sink – whether it is stainless or another material – come to Handy Man and our helpful staff will point out things that make a sink great!